Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

It's funny to read so much talk about definitions... when for me, after
coming back to music after a 15+ year absence, I am invigorated by seeing
previous definitions falling away.

That said, when I think of anything LIVE, I think there must be the
possibility of the train derailing. That's what makes watching a
performance so compelling. SO within that, I think it's perfectly fine to
include pre-made loops, pre-made roadmaps, anything at all, in a
performance... as long as spontaneity is a fundamental.

Milli-Vanilli style lip-synching, and the loopy equivalents of that, are
exactly the opposite: it is about ensuring that the train cannot derail,
that there is no possibility of spontaneity whatsoever.

I admire folks who can only improvise, walk onstage with NO plan... but
the other side of that is a feeling that perhaps one is lazy, and may have
fear around committing to the process of building solid ideas. Just
saying, there are two sides to each side... and composing is hard, and
requires courage as well. Reality is that most of us live somewhere
between the two absolutes.

One interesting area omitted so far is the notion of loop-based heightened
reality, as in some of Andre LaFosse's recordings: based on EDP improvs
(live and uncut though without an audience) which were subsequently nipped
and tucked, for better symmetries, tighter motion and so on... even some
overdubbing to enhance certain passages... Certainly Andre has earned his
stripes as a live looper by any definition... but these recordings are
certainly not live... yet I really love that notion of taking something
raw and making a polished artifact from it...

Phil :)