Re: Is it Live ? Kim and Matt

Rick Walker wrote:

his resistance to the creation of a live looping movement through the creation of live looping festivals as more of a political thing as opposed to specifically a
loops versus live looping kind of dialectic.

What Kim Flint really objected to was the use of the term "Looping"
being used to promote music that excluded pre-recorded loops.

He had a vision of interaction between the two approaches to looping.

I think it may be true to say that he wasn't a fan of
ambient guitar music, and that he thought that witnessing ambient guitarists
would discourage people from using looping devices.
(in the early days, LD was somewhat dominated by ambient guitarists, some of whom expressed anti-canned loop
sentiments).

For those who don't know, Kim was Matthias' business partner
in a company called Aurisis. So is some part responsible for the existence of the EDP loop device, and very much responsible for it being associated with Gibson.

He was really against the use of software for live looping,
using his position in Aurisis to prevent Matt from developing and releasing
his looping plugin. (resolved amicably when Matt bought out Kim's share).

I'm sure if Kim was around he could express his reasons
much better than I ever could, hope I haven't misrepresented him.

...and obviously Matt is the one to present his side.

andy