RE: livelooping. organic

> Is my understanding correct that the ESX/EMX is the second generation in
> the "Electribe" product line, of which the ES-1 and ER-1 (?) were the
> first generation?

Yes to a power of 10+ ... the  ESX is the sampling unit is has 9 one shot drum parts , 2 scaled keyboard parts and then a (devides a longer sample into "slices" )Slice part and two Stretch parts (made for playing a whole drum loop where the speed can be varied whilst doing its best ot maintain pitch)

The EMX is all onboard, its a 5 part VA synth with a PCM sampled drum machine built in, its actually more akin to the old korg EA with more parts plus drums then the ER... the ER is quite a diferant beast... the EMX is marginally lessflexible because you cant upload your own sounds...but you can sequence more melodic pats on it ( bother are monophonic per part)

> Heard a lot of good things about the E-mu already. By
> "counter-intuitive", do you mean it doesn't work to program drums, or it
> just takes some time to get used to it?
Well with the ESX I have ALL my kit defined per preset...so a kick is on part 1, snare on 2, second kick on three snare four etc.... the emx has really odd patch oorganisations,its neither like this or like the traditional midi map....in some patches there are "raw" patches full of bass drums ...like one new bass on each key of a full keyboard...whilst on other patches its like there is a "kit" in the patch but then as you transpose the patch will have aweful prerecorded "riffs" and basses  and wacka wacka guitars and ...well crap ...thrown in, as an  improvisor that makes them unusable to me...i never feel I could "learn" the kits.

> I don't understand your description after "a whole host of sounds" - can
> you be more specific?
Well I have the ocmposer , mo phatt and extreme lead roms in mine I think that gives me about 3000 rompler raw sounds ...these can be stacked up to 8 layers high have up to 32 arpegiators running on them and be affected by any of the many many filters abailable, there is good and bad in every rom, but if you hrvest the best and make your own preset banks, you will never be short of a sound.

> > The MC series are counter intuative and not useful for live from
> > scratch music creaton...they are definatly more aimed at the " build
> > before remix live " brigade.
> Agree. I have a MC505 myself, which, in many respects, is a cool thing,
> but I can't even remember how to program/record new patterns, because I
> never really used it. Their workflow to remix/combine different
> multi--part patterns is cool, though.
I keep almost selling it...but it sounds ace as just a module to pipe live data to from my sonnus B2M bass ot midi convertor.

> > in the meantime, I would say give it a go if you have access to the
> > tools...its imense fun and the possibilities for not just building a
> > piece but building then dropping some parts then changing others then
> > adding in some more sounds then replacing tiny fragments...its a
> > really good way to play.
> Yup, also an important aspect - fun! And different than audio-looping
> tools (unless you play your instrument and your effects and your looper
> really really well), the approach is much more microsurgery-like.
I like the analogy, yer, its a my favourite work flow now, I still loe my audio loops, in fact, the sound i am looking for works best blending both as many sequencers are on a grid, so all recorded material gets sifter through that grid resolution...its amazing for drums as it corrects all my mistakes, but for melodic samples it can feel a little rigid  ( as a mater of intrest the EMU can quantize of leave events as they are, I have mine set to 32nd quantise, its fine enough to sound human but it does correct slight mishaps.)