Re: Live Looping without "organic" instruments.. is it live looping,"MUSIC" inside (regarding a recent debate)

Very interesting questions brought up by Ben. Myself I look less to
what happens in a technical sense (whether audio or data is being
manipulated) but more to who I'm talking to and the nature of the
processing itself: If anything you create is caught to repeatedly come
back I think it is a loop. And if you use that to make music you are
looping. If comping audio looping and step sequencing I think the same
goes: If recording one long part or creating one long sequence you are
not looping, but if working with a short repeating piece of audio or
building a part form a shorter repeating pattern it is looping.

But generally I avoid words like looping and sequencing to avoid
confusion. Of course it depends on who you are talking to, but my
usual "self description" is to say that I incorporate interactive
electronics into the instrument I play and perform with. If talking to
a journalist at a musician's magazine or if talking to a musician you
may go into fine definitions because you know they have the experience
to follow what you are saying. But for most people I find that seem to
end up thinking just "he is extending his instrument with electronics"
anyway.

For an academic paper it would be necessary to iron out the
terminology in a precise way, but then you will bump into that classic
situation where most people outside those circle just think you're
nuts ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com