Re: Ableton Live Automation - How Annoying

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kris Hartung <krispen.hartung@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Yes, I am doing this.  I created one audio track that gets its input from
> the Master and I record just that track.
> But the problem is that while I am recording live, I am pressing
> keystokes
> to activate certain effects, etc. And all those are recorded as
> automation
> and played back again.

Well, to simply mine and Raüls posta:
Do-not-use-the-record-on-the-nav-bar to record audio! That rec button
is for DJ style peeps that keep a bunch of loops on the harddrive and
just want to record how they mangle playback of those pre recorded
files.

What you should do is to route the audio stream you want recorded into
an audio track and then RECORD IT AS A CLIP. The detailed way to carry
that out is to (1) record enable the audio track and (2) click the
little marker (the launch button) on the clip to make it start
recording. The file will be stored inside the "samples" folder in your
project folder (where you have saved the working doc).

There is also the way Raül hinted at, to record by launching a scene
(stop reading here if too much - the rest is optional). A scene is the
name for all clips on all tracks that line up horizontally on the same
row. The way to launch a scene is to click this row's launch button of
the Master Output column/track/channel to the very right. Clicking
there starts all clips *in this scene* and IF a track (vertical
column) is record enabled the clip will start recording. If that clip
slot already is occupied by a recorded clip no recording will happen
even if the track is record enabled. If the clip slot is empty (clip
has been deleted by the user) no recording is going to happen there
even if the track is rec enabled. So, there you have the basics in
working with scenes.

Hope this helps. The power of Live is actually its spreadsheet layout,
just give you brain a little time to embrace the concept. It is indeed
different than most recorders. When you get into it you will see that
it in fact is a spreadsheet for music production, because just like in
Excel you can record into clips and arm those clips with different
unique instructions for how to behave. I remember the Max patches you
used some years ago, with extreme randomization but still somewhat
drawing on what audio you play into it - similar things can easily be
set up with this spreadsheet design.

> The Live user guide says:
>
> "All changes of a control that occur while the Control
> Bar’s Record switch is on become automation. Try recording automation
> for a
> control, for
> instance a mixer volume slider. After recording, play back what you have
> just recorded
> to see and hear the effect of the control movement. You will notice that
> little LED has
> appeared in the slider thumb to indicate that the control is now
> automated.
> Try recording
> automation for track panning and the Track Activator switch as well;
> their
> automation LEDs
> appear in their upper left corners."
>
> But it doesn't say how to turn this off globally so that nothing is
> recorded
> accept the audio to the track.

That is because you use a different method to record audio (like
described above).

Per