Re: Holiday Looping Vol. 3

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Wytold Lebing <wytoldmusic@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Haha - yeah, the fingerboard feels pretty darn curved!  In combination
> with
> the NS shoulder strap, it took a couple months to get to where I could
> reliably play in tune on the 6 string.  Of course, then my positioning
> was
> off when I went back to the acoustic...sigh hah

Interesting! I read in Ned Steinberg's web site that the intention was
not to make an electric version of the acoustic cello but to "see
where this instrument could go if let totally free in the electric
domain". The lame mid range response in the electric output is an
issue, like you were saying. I'm taking care or that by effects like
like the Wha, Big Muff and Octavia. If the PU's were noisy before they
now roar like a hurricane and I need to cut that off with a noise gate
- before reverb, delay and such. That noise gate sounds ok when bowing
but cuts the string sound in an unacceptable way when plucking. So I
kind of trade pizzicato playability for a juicy bowing tone. Can't
have everything ;-)

> The Grand Stick is a dream instrument for me...one day!!

Totally flat fingerboard. Since I got a Roland GK-3 on it there is no
way to access it with a bow. Another trade-off. A bit sad since I
liked the bowed Stick sound, although only three strings were
accessible (lowest and two highest on the sides)

Per