Re: Loss of the initial song idea

you could quite literally "save it for a rainy day," which would give you some time away but also put you on the spot once that rainy days suddenly arrives, and you record essentially cold on the material.  i always just record stuff in the various stages, because i have found that once i learn a piece, it develops a different feel than the initial idea.  then one must choose what one wants for the studio recording, and use the demo, if necessary--  MIDI is great for that.  the piece will always be however i am playing it at any particular moment in my life, if i am playing it live.  but the recording of the material in the studio would ideally, to me, evoke the concentrated essence of the mood of the piece, and that is one of the hardest things to duplicate in subsequent takes of much material.  you are on a deadline for class, so you cannot dawdle too much.  if you have recordings of performances that you think approximate the feel you had, listen to them, both actively and passively. my best friend actually plays piano, whereas i merely write on it, and he says the key to most problems he has is to simply play softer. maybe that suggests something. try some terraced dynamics if the piece is fit for it, adding more notes each pass through until you reveal the actual piece fairly far in.  my favorite example of this is the tony levin band's deconstruction of "tequila" on the double espresso album. that approach may suggest increasing raindrops as the piece progresses.  if all else fails, buy a recording of rain and play it on a loop to yourself, especially while you are asleep.  besides the potential inconvenience of having to get up in the middle of the night to pee more often, you might just wake up one morning knowing exactly what rain sounds like.

time

From: "k3zz21@gmail.com" <k3zz21@gmail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:26 PM
Subject: Loss of the initial song idea

Im currently writing a piano piece for my music class. I originally started out feeling really connected with the idea. My intention was to to make the piece somewhat sound like a rain storm. And I was definitely feeling the connection between what I had made so far and the vision that I had in my head which was simply rain. Now I seem to have lost that initial feeling. Ism wondering if it is due to me being distracted from that feeling and trying harder to make the song sound "Good" maybe?