Re: Do We Perceive Beauty in an Unexpected Context

One thing that this story possibly suggests to me is that the average person has to be told what is good art or music, etc, and they don't have the ability to discern it themselves.

I don't think we can assume that's the case in this instance. If the majority of those people were on their way to work, they didn't have time to stop and listen. They may very have arrived at work and told their co-workers that they had just heard the most insanely talented violin player in the subway, and regretted they didn't have time to listen more.

Jeff