Re: Keeping your sets interesting

I suggest looking in the music for ways to stay out of the bore zone
when performing. Especially think about the order of introducing new
parts. Come up with strategies to avoid keeping a certain state too
long. One example is when beginning with laying down a hihat part;
don't play all 64 bars all through (if you plan to fill up 64 bars in
total with the finished music to be). Make one or two bars and
instantly multiply up that to the full 64 bars if needed. Or copy a
one bar loop six times to make a seven bar loop and then "do an
insert" to add an extra bar that you play live so you end up with an 8
bar loop where on of the bar is a bit different (fill or whatever). Or
another strategy; make 1 bar, copy it 7 times to make a 8 bar loop,
substitute one bar or maybe just a part of it for a variation.

A good example is Kid Beyond's looping videos. He is very good at
sketching up a musical song structure in almost one go. Then he
returns to certain parts to add a harmony or a new percussive element.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen