Its also recomended by manufacturers to always plug your controllers into the same ports that they were plugged into while the drivers were being installed.
I know how you feel man. Its frustrating. My M Audio Oxygen used go shut off on me randomly whenever my nanopad was plugged in after a certain amount of time. My best advice is:
1. Make sure you have installed the newest drivers for EVERY controller if they exist.
2. Download Midi Ox and also Maple MIDI ports. Midi Ox is a software midi bridge that allows lots of flexibility between your midi devices and the computer.
-It also lets you monitor all of your midi activity.
-Maple is a set of virtual midi ports that let you connect many inputs to a single output.
3. Either update to Windows 7 or downgrade to XP. I use win7 and dont recall having very many midi problems. Vista is not the business for anything that requires reliability.
On Mar 7, 2012 8:01 AM, "Michael Peters" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
I'm continuously pissed off by the way that my various USB midi controllers turn up or don't, or get confused, or disappear, on my Vista notebook. Advice needed!
I use Bidule but it isn't Bidule's problem, it is a Windows Vista problem. Does it get better with Window7? are there any tools that I can use to monitor what happens, or to better take care of the USB devices?
I regularly use two Nanokontrols and a Softstep. Sometimes I use a Nanopad, a Nanokey, and an Axon midi converter. I usually load a Bidule first that only consists of Midi monitors so that I can see which devices work and which don't, so that I can unplug/replug them.
Some of the symptoms are
- the Softstep sometimes disappears. I have to unplug and replug it to come up again. Today it refuses to show up even though Windows makes a recognize sound when I plug it it.
- the various Nano devices get mixed up often, or don't all show up.
- when plugging them into different ports, everything gets mixed up
This is driving me nuts. I can't believe there is no remedy for this (and no, I don't want Apple products :)