Re: loops with a drummer?

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Dave Draper <dh.draper@virgin.net> wrote:
> The difference for me, in improvised music, is that neither the drummer
> nor
> the loop is the master, rather there may be loops, there may be drum
> rhythms; sometimes the drummer reacts to a loop & plays what /he(/she)/
> hears - it might not be the same rhythm/time signature that the loop was
> originally played in, but it often adds a kind of rhythmic counterpoint.
> My
> next decision is whether to retrigger or change the loop, or more
> usually,
> go with the drummer's interpretation. That way we get to different places
> than either of us would reach individually, or by being in a master/slave
> relationship.

That's a great description! I too like this approach. You really get
to PLAY the looper. When I do this I restrain from creating several
loops on parallel tracks and rather layer parts into the same loop.
That way it is just a foot switch kick away to delete it and make a
new loop.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com