Re: Trippy little synth

Hi Tyler,

thanks for your info on the OP-1. When I first saw it announced, I thought "hey, cool toy", but upon seeing the price tag, I wasn't so sure anymore. But now that it seems that it's more than just a toy...need to consider it again.

The lack of proper MIDI would imo only be relevant if you used it together with a proper MIDI keyboard (because you don't want to play that tiny keyboard) - but that might be an important application (around which you could work by e.g. using an USB keyboard and a computer - but then you need a computer).

The size is also great, as you mention. I just checked, and it's about the same width as my netbook, so that OP-1-plus-laptop scenario would work well from a form factor.

Your statements about the sw stability, together with the fact that they released an OS update with tons of new features, yet the documentation is still version 1.0 really seems to indicate that they take the company name seriously: new features - yeah, let's do that! testing - mhhmm, I'll play with it a little and see if something comes up. Documentation - I sure would, but I'm busy implementing new features...

Now on to my questions:
For me, the OP-1 seems to be a "contemporary workstation synthesizer with an attitude", meaning from the general approach (keyboard, synth engine, drum engine, effects, sequencer and multitrack recorder) it's about the same as your Fantom/Motif/Kronos, but different to those, it's not the jack-of-all-trades, rather something unique... Would it, in your experience so far, also work well as some kind of musical scetchbook, which you use to do some ideas which come to you on a train ride, programming some drums, recording some instruments and singing a guide track? Btw, how much is the polyphony/multitimbrality/number of sequencer tracks? Is that sequencer pattern or linear, or both?

How does the keyboard work? I assume it's only little more than a cheap replacement, but does it play better than your laptop keyboard? Does it have velocity?

         Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs