Re: More flexible electronic music setup

Hey Kay'lon,

I guess the first question to ask is - how do you want it to be more
sonically flexible?

Listening to the movie, it sounds like you're into live manipulation
of your sounds. A few external effects boxes will work wonders -
especially if you're able to choose which loops can go through
external effects. (And if you're not able, I'd still suggest checking
them out.)

To start with, I'd suggest a distortion pedal with a lot of settings
and knobs. (I use a Digitech Distortion Factory. I've seen others
recommend the Proco Rat.) External distortion pedals work wonders on
synths, because they react differently to different volume levels and
filter settings.

After your distortion, you may like a filter, to add additional color.
I'm very fond of the Alesis Philtre, which is unfortunately
discontinued and hard to find.

And after that, maybe some sort of box that lets you easily handle
reverb/echoes, etc. I really like the Alesis Ineko (also discontinued
and hard to find), since it has reverb, some simple echoes, and some
nice ear candy things like ring modulator, reverse echo  and formants.

Lastly, do you have a volume pedal? To me, that's an understated
secret weapon, since you can add a lot of live expression with one,
while keeping both hands free.

...And with all this stuff, I'd keep an eye out for gear that is
friendly to live manipulation, over gear that encourages you to save
patches and presets.

I have a youtube video describing my rig here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELCrrMdphk&feature=relmfu
This rig is all about taking a midi-based instrument (a drum machine)
and creating a wide variety of sounds from it, especially in an
improvised music context.

kay'lon rushing <k3zz21@gmail.com> was all:

--
Matt Davignon