Re: More flexible electronic music setup

Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> was all:

> I thoroughly enjoyed this "gear spotting video", mainly because, unlike
> other presentations in that domain, it only focusses on the gear to the
> extent necessary, but not more. If I followed it right, the only thing
> mentioned by name is the "Dr. Sample", the others are just "filter,
> distortion" etc.
>
> And it sounds fun.
>
> Nice!

Thanks Rainer!

I finally caught on, and listed the gear in the information text for
the video. I often have some hesitation about naming my gear - for a
couple reasons:
1) Pure selfishness: A lot of the gear has been discontinued. (The
best gear often is!) If I contribute to the gear being more popular, I
decrease the chances of finding a replacement on ebay when something
breaks.
2) I think the most important part of building a rig is finding stuff
that fills YOUR musical needs. I tend to think of the devices as
elements of a modular synthesizer. Rather than saying "buy THIS
tremolo", I'd rather say, "Try a few tremolos, and buy the one that
does what you want." Of course, when it comes to things like tremolos,
I've come across some real turds.

Todd Reynolds was like:
>Hey Matt,  that is phenomenal!  what a great rig you've got and what
>great sounds you
>get with it!  Really, love love love it.
>
>Listen, I have an HR-16 sitting around here that I NEVER use.  Do you
>need a
>backup?  is there a more general market for these old beauties?

Thanks - that means a lot coming from the Todd Reynolds :)
I'm kinda stuck on the BOSS DR-660 and DR-770. They have a drumroll
button. I'm used to how they treat building and tuning drum kits. They
also have the pads and dials arranged in a more ergonomically correct
way, which allows me to play a drumroll and change a setting at the
same time, with the same hand. If anyone wants to send me one of
those, I'd be good to have a spare.

I don't know what kind of market there is for drum machines these
days. Most of the electronic & hip-hop folks have since moved on to
either MPC samplers or software from what I can tell. The only other
experimental drum machinist I know of - Ikue Mori - switched to laptop
computer at about the time I was getting started.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com