Re: Baryton guitar strings/tuning?

Per Boysen wrote:
I have always loved the sound of high tension strings and with a
normal guitar scale the best sounding string tension becomes too hard
to bend.

William Walker wrote:
I want more bending capability

Maybe the way forward is strings with equal tension.

I did the maths a while back, and for equal tension for a given scale length:-

StringDiameter=k/FrequencyOpenString

k: constant

(keeping in mind, this won't work well comparing wound to unwound)

i.e. if you go up a forth, make string diameter 3/4 as large.
(and from G up to B, diameter deceases to 4/5)

While many manufacturers conform to that for bass strings(the 105-45 sets),
the standard guitar guages give lower tension in the bass.

So, pick your standard guages for nice firm clear bass, and the little
strings we like to bend feel stiff.

andy