From: William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2012 4:30 AM
Subject: Re: TC Flashback delay/Line 6 M series audio mods

Hey Louis, The issue with the M series stuff as compared to say Eventide or TC products is transparency of sound.  When i run through my timefactor or flashback I perceive a clearer less colored sound and no drop in volume. With my M series stuff there is a slight drop in volume, a touch more noise and coloration in the high frequencies. Its not a huge thing and most people don't notice particularly if they keep at least one effect on at a time. I have considered selling my M-9, but I also realized that in order to achieve some of the complex  synched  3 delays in a row that i'm found of using I would need three Eventide Timelines or Strymon Time Factors. When I started to add that up, I thought twice and I'm willing to risk the money it takes for the audio upgrade to find out,  and I definitely will get the switches changed. I never regretted having my long gone DL-4 modded for audio upgrade by Keeley, i imagine the person who owns it now is glad too. I had a second one at the time and in a side by side comparison I definitely heard  the difference in noise floor and volume drop. There are a number of people doing DL-4 mods these days for both audio and switches most notably Vertex,  http://www.vertexeffects.com/
who has built boards and customized DL-4's and other effects  for guys like Robben Ford , Nels Kline, Henry Kaiser,and Michael Landau.
The guy I just found  JHV3 http://jhv3.squarespace.com/m9-mods/    is the only I have found so far that has tackled the same issues on the M-series, there is a pretty detailed description on his web site about what he does. The fact is, there are a lot of cottage industry guys tweaking and modding all kinds of effects, amps and guitars, to make production  factory made gear sound better and/or more like original issue stuff.  I'll let you know how it compares.
 bill