Re: things not going so well at the Conference

Then, after following the professor's sage advice, you may have as many as FOUR people attending! :)

From: Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: things not going so well at the Conference

Tyler schrieb:
> So far, I logged into the conference, and for a long time, no one was there. Mark had a bad connection, so he couldn't stay. Todd Reynolds stayed awhile, and now there's no one left. What did I do wrong?
> Tyler Z

Maybe nobody knew what to expect, and thus prioritized accordingly? (I know it was that in my case).

More specifically:
I personally didn't attend, because I preferred to visit my home town and meet with friends instead. Something I could have done any other weekend, of course.
Your event seemed to me (and sorry if I misunderstood this completely, but maybe some others did as well) that you provided a platform (the conference call service) at a specific time and then asked us to provide our spare time and do looping stuff.

On that level of detail, it's really hard to judge what to expect and thus, to trade that off with other means I could spend my time with.
Things would have been different if there had been some kind of agenda and maybe some confirmed panelists, so e.g.:

Think about some more specific agenda items, and then get people to agree to do something in the conference, which will in turn draw more participants.
Say, part 1 would be "getting the maximum out of simple loopers", and then people like Rick Walker or Matt Davignon who simply start demonstrating their secret tricks. Other participants may then ask questions, or offer their own suggestions. Or, if the other participants are shy at first, let the two "panelists" simply start a discussion, encouraging the others to chime in. This would have worked to fill some 45 minutes.
Do one or two more of those blocks. Then end the thing with an "open mic" round of performances, with 10 minutes for each one, with two confirmed performers, and then others can perform, and after each performance, you do a Q&A/discussion round on the performance.

That way, someone reading about it would know what to expect. He would get info on some specific topics, as well as the possibility to ask questions to some accomplished artists as well as other participants. He would get to listen to some short performance, and get a chance to do one himself and get valuable feedback on it.

Just my .02

            Rainer

-- http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs