Re: [Fwd: Re: Can I have your feedback?]

I have to chime in here. in the 80s, I worked with drummers who said, "drum machines will never take the place of real drums". What they didn't know was, many hits back then wee made with a Linn machine and they didn't even notice! I've always had the attitude, "it;s not what you have, it's how you use it". In an old addition of Front of House magazine, which caters to live sound reinforcement folks, interviewed a prominent sound tech. When asked of his fantasy gig, he replied, "I'd like to give the opening act any equipment they want for the mix, then mix the headliner act with a Peavey Mark IV mixer". I say, "here here"!
Rig

From: richard sales <richard@glasswing.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2012 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Can I have your feedback?]

Here's the trick, Kay'lon;

Never let critiques get under your skin.  Take what makes sense and use it and leave the rest in the dust... or maybe for later.

Musician's lives have been totally derailed by small comments, or comments made in the spirit of camaraderie. I know because it happened to me a few times.  Fortunately, I'm good on the rebound and have survived to write this email and do fairly well with music.

I'll never forget the first real pro R&B session I did.  The producer was just cruel, harsh on the folks trying out for parts. "You should quit now. That was the worst playing I've ever heard" etc.  I swear this is true!  I was aghast.  But the crazy thing was, the rejected just picked up their axes and moved on.

Music is extremely subjective.  I heard your stuff and the irregularity didn't really bother me, but that's just how I roll.  I produce music so tight you couldn't fit tissue paper between the beat and the dotted 64th, but I also do music that is wild and out of control.  In fact, I have a client now who, within one song can rise and fall from 90 BPM to 150 BPM.  Within a measure!  But I've figured out how to make it work and, weirdest of weirds, when it's finished it usually sounds quite pro.

Every bird in the jungle has an important song.

The key for you is figuring out what YOUR song is.  When you put it out there, other birds might complain because their song is different.  You have to be strong in who you are and what you love or you'll go crazy... BUT!  ...all the while improving your vision, honing your chops, ever vigilant for stuff that sucks or can be improved.  There isn't a good player on earth who can't improve somewhere.   I've been with some of the real masters and it's amazing how humble and hard working they are.

Rick is a beautiful man, a stellar human and spectacular drummer.  I hear what he's saying and I hear what you're doing.

I think a good piece of advice is never ask a drummer what he thinks of your drum tracks because he has that specialized metronome, his own bird song, going inside.  Rick is highly refined and has a vision he's been honing for decades.  Drummers OBSESS on meter.  I have some wild stories about that too.

I wouldn't worry a lick if he critiqued one of my drum tracks.  I expect that from good drummers.  It's all in the nature of the game.   I can always improve.  I can always learn.  I can always reject someone's valid criticism if it runs counter to the voice inside.  I can also take it in if it seems true to me.  It's a fine line you just learn with time.

I used to internalize this kind of stuff and after 40 some years of playing professionally I've learned to not dwell on the negatives too much.  It can eat you alive.  Never let anything eat you alive but the desire to be the very best Kay'lon on earth!

My take on your track was that it was extremely organic.  I heard your bird song.  Can it be improved?  Can my music be improved?  Was Jimi Hendrix sloppy sometimes?  Did he go to learn from great players every chance he got?

Just keep working it, refining the diamond until it's blinding.

My own bird obsesses on boredom - boring parts, music that puts me to sleep, parts in a song where I yawn or start thinking about something else.  That's my particular bird song and it drives me crazy to hear music that's lazy, too easily self satisfied and doesn't take into consideration the competition, all the amazing stuff that's gone before - regardless of category.  My bird demands that I strive with all I have to be original and present that originality as good as I can (which can always be improved!)

We're competing with Beethoven, the Beatles, Bartok and Blind Blake.  For me, the challenge is fabulous and keeps me on task.  It keeps me young and alert and I'm 64 years old.

All the answers are inside you.  That's where the last word should come to rest.

All the above is just my opinion.  Don't worry.  Just keep moving forward.

your fellow bird,

Richard

(Sorry this was SO long!  I'd just finished a session and read the thread about your stuff, listened and just had to take a solo!!!)