Re: Harmonizer

Naturally some of the Roland guitar synths come to mind but I wonder if you could use one of the new-generation vocal processors? I'm expecting a TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch in a few days. I purchased it for vocal use but I might try it for instrument use too, might be interesting. There are more advanced (i.e. more expensive) units but most do allow key selection for generating vocal harmony parts. I've read that, in isolation, the synthesized harmony parts sound quite cheesy but when mixed with the real vocal it's passable. Might be the same for an instrument IF it can track well enough. I did a cover of an Eagle's song once (studio) and had trouble reaching the highest vocal harmony part. I took a submix and lowered it a couple of whole tones (using Time Factory), sang the harmony part and then re-pitched that part back up to proper pitch (again using TF). In isolation it sounded like a Chipmunk's song but in the mix you really couldn't tell. Still makes me laugh every time I hear it even though I'm the only one who notices. Timothy B. Schmit, nothin' to it!