Re: Finding "gigs"

Hmmm, Kay'lon, I'm not sure what your experience with noise music (the
genre) is these days.
Lob specializes in that, but I think he has an open ear to lots of
different types of unusual music. He has a band named Instagon, which
prides itself on having a different set of musicians each time they
play - usually somewhere between improvised rock and pure noise.

I lucked out in the beginning, because there were "open invite" shows
at the time I was new to San Francisco. "Open Invite" would be
something like "We are having an open session at this cafe tonight.
Whoever shows up with an instrument is welcome to play in the group
improv." I met people through those shows, who then helped me get
opportunities to play solo concerts. (At first, sharing a bill with
their band.) That helped me get connections to the venues. It didn't
take long to get to the point where I could contact a venue myself and
ask for a gig. These are still mostly "door gigs", in which the
artists take home a portion of the profit. For local-level
experimental music, this can be between $5 and $50 for a set. (Usually
on the lower end of that scale, depending on how many people come to
the show.) Night clubs that frequently have well-known national and
touring acts usually won't book a local or new musician unless they
are faithful that at least 50 people will come to see that musician.

So, my advice is to go to a lot of local-level shows. Say hello to the
artists you like. If you find a cafe or venue that is hosting a lot of
music you like, say hello to the people booking the show. Once you
know them a little bit, give them a CDR of your music, or email them a
link to a youtube of you doing your thing.

I should also say something about this: I think you are much further
along than most 17 year olds, but as you encounter local music you
like, you'll probably start incorporating those elements into what you
do, and figure out different ways to present your "live set".

For me, I entered the music scene as someone who played turntable and
used cd and tape samples. After immersing myself in San Francisco
improvised music, I learned to:
--Stop expecting people to be "blown away" by the concept of what I'm
doing or the gear I'm playing. I have to really play my instruments
creatively in order to impress people.
--Reduce my number of instruments and boxes to only the ones that are
the most useful and flexible.
--Be willing to admit that the "great idea" that I walked in with
might not be the way to go, and that if I try to shoehorn it in the
wrong situation, it could become terrible.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com