Re: any interest in a Looper's Delight online radio station?

yes well I dont think that anyone would argue that LD is ONLY about
live looping, we discuss all sorte of topics here, and Im sure many of
us are using pre recorded loops too. Its true that In todays world
loops are used In all types of recording, so that is too wide a scope
for LD. But like Tyler I also think that LD need not be only about
LIVE, and often improvised looping. The YK series of festivals IS an
experiment, where the rule IS live loops. But it doesnt Ness follow
that the YK parameters need following to the letter on LD.

For myself, Im not so interested HOW. loop is made, whether live or
edited by hand on a DAW. For me the interesting thing is that it
SOUNDS looped, that a loop has a different sound than a played
ostinato, so I LIKE loop points being audible, or slightly lumpy
loops. I love the old tape-loop stuff ( My references: Severed heads,
Cab voltaire, 23skidoo, Terry Riley,... etc) Even if Britney loops
something.. not My personal taste you understand, then she has bought
into a sound that used a looped phrase as a musical device... is
interesting, and may be dicussed on LD ..

mark

Sent from my (advertisement removed)

On 19 Jun 2012, at 19:03, Jeff Larson <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com> wrote:

> [...]
> realize this is a slippery slope argument, but I think there is a line
> between looping and studio processing that just happens to result in
> repetition.  For me I think it is when "live" means performed live,
> but not necessarily recorded live.  Editing a track in ProTools to
> get a little stutter effect is not IMO looping.
>
> I managed to make it through that Britney song, and it isn't at all
> clear that what she's doing is even looping.  You could achieve the
> same thing just by sustaining a note and editing out chunks of it.
>
> Let's take a poll, is this looping?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMuDtfxAIKk&feature=related
>
> Grumpy Old Man
>

> On 6/19/12 10:44 AM, "Tyler" <programmer651@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It might not exist as a STYLE per se, but as a method. There are people
>> (like me) who perk up whenever they
>> hear the Heap sample in Jason Derulo's "Whatcha Say" repeat (like
>> "what-what-what-what-what
>> did she say?" or when they hear Cher "Do you believe in life after love
>> (after love-after love-after
>> love)." In fact, I had never heard of "live" looping until late 2011
>> when
>> I heard this
>> guy named Tim Exile on Youtube. I looped long before that though; but I
>> looped in a way that pop
>> artists' producers did. You may think of studio loops as "repetition."
>> Well, look it up;
>> all sound repetition that is done with the same sample is looping! The
>> only audio repetition that is
>> not looping is when the same notes are played over and over again,
>> manually. But most repetition in pop
>> music is done either with tape (Beatles) or with digital (Derulo). Of
>> course I use
>> digital; I'm a new-age musician who just started around 2009-2010. But
>> if
>> the same sample
>> is copied, and then pasted again and again, that is technically a loop;
>> repetition of the same sample.
>> And, as I said, there are people who perk up when they hear Britney
>> Spears's voice go "I (I, I)
>> wanna go (go, go) all the way (way, way)." Each sample was copied, and
>> pasted a few times.
>> It's still a loop; repetition of the same sample. I wouldn't be
>> surprised
>> if Looper's Delight
>> vol. 1 CD (being the 90s) contained a lot of songs that sounded like
>> pop,
>> but were lesser known. With
>> all the looping done in the studio. Let's just call non-live repetition
>> of samples "studio
>> looping." We want more studio looping in our mp3 players when we click
>> links from the
>> Looper's Delight mailing list! I mean, come on! It's still looping!
>> Tyler Z
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:32:55 +0200, Michael Peters wrote:
>>

>>> oh I'm definitely in favor of the radio station too, and of all kinds
>>> looping. I just thought that the "closed predesigned loop" thing is
>>> more