Re: OT: Tangerine Dream

> I'm sure, too, that the units they had were not exactly off-the-shelf but extra-special custom orders with all the best components and zero bloatware.

The beauty of Dell (and a few other sites, particularly gaming laptop makers) is that anyone can order the best components - here's Dell's top-of-the-line workstation laptop:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2960XM (Extreme Quad Core 2.70GHz,8M cache, Upgradable to Intel® vPro™ technology)
Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English
Display17.3" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) Wide View LED Multi-Touch w/Stylus, Premium Panel Guarantee
Memory2 32GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive 512GB (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive
Optical Drive8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™, no media
Video CardNVIDIA® Quadro® 5010M with 4GB GDDR5

You can even get 3 hard drives in it - the price approaches $10K if you get the largest SSD drives - sounds silly, but for someone using many large sample libraries, it might be worth it.  Hurray for manufacturers who let their customers decide what they need!

    ...Tim...