Re: history essay updated

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
> I updated and rewrote parts of my old "birth of loop" history essay,
> especially the final paragraphs about "today's loops".  Comments?

Fantastic text! Very inspiring reading. It could be a bit longer, I
think. Shouldn't there be also a chapter dealing with moder time's
musical machines? You do mention Steve Reich's phasing with two tape
machines but leave out electronic sequencing where similar
compositional approaches can be realized also at mathematical
precision. As for another example, the arpeggiator is a simple piece
of gear that allows for creating instant hands-on polyrhythm
counterpoint (see early Tangerine Dream). One could also mention the
emerge and evolution of the moder electronic dance music emanating
from Kraftwerk ("in 1971, then hijacked by Hip hop in 1981" and so
on), a history laid out with audio excerpts at
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/. And of course the
particular pieces of gear behind this movement (Roland's legendary
boxes) as well as the "reversed" method for creating music where the
performer tweaks filters etc on sound modules driven by controlling
sequences of triggering events (as opposed to creating a source sound
sent into a Time Lag Accumulator system, or whatever).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen