Re: Octatrack vs Ableton Live quick help

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Sergio G <simpliflying@gmail.com> wrote:
> You said "The hardest DSP is time-stretching and pitch-shifting.". As
> far as
> I understood, with OT I can do that to a single loop while it stays
> synced
> to the other loops. Am I wrong?

If working in Ableton Live you will be able to time-stretch or
pitch-shift a loop if you record it as an Audio Clip. You can't do it
if you record it in the Looper plugin or into some third-party looper
plugin. Each method brings good or bad sides.

> Anyway you almost convinced me to buy the OT.

I was just presenting you the facts as they are. Myself I don't have
an OT. I have chosen to use only software in a laptop; the looper
Mobius to be specific. My reason for choosing Mobius is that it offers
many functions that I appreciate. At some concerts I host Mobius in
Ableton Live but the host I like best is Apple's Mainstage. The reason
I prefer Mainstage rather than Live is that Mainstage is much more
configurable; meaning I can do things like setting up any kind of
"graphic conductor" for the musicians. If I should need a mixer like
Live's I can make one in Mainstage.

For producing recordings in the studio I prefer to use Logic. The
mixes always sound better for me in Logic compared to doing it in
Live. I also like the idea of building and having instant access -
both in the studio and on the stage - to my personal library of
channel strips. Both channel strips for audio input and MIDI input, as
I play EWI too and need detailed perfection in synth control.

>  Novation Launchpad with Ableton

The launchpad is a nice controller. I can't use one though as I often
play instruments with my hands. Instead I use a foot controlle, the
Gordius Little Giant. It has ten switches and four expression pedals.
Two bank switch pedals lets you scroll through alternative setups for
the controller switches/pedals. I think you can have many hundreds of
banks but I only find use for eight (about the same as the Launchpad).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen