Re: Repetition

Some of the earliest muzik I made with friends sounded quite good. I'd give it to non-musicians who did not like the fact that the musical bed did not change. This was in the mid 80s before techno, etc. A German friend said it best, "but Mauk zis mussic ist alvays de same!! Alvays de same. It zounds gut, but alvays de same. Vould be mooch bettau if zom chanching, but no!
You get the drift I'm sure. Like many, we were just too soon.
Rig

From: RP Collier <skeptikalist@gmail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Repetition

On Sep 10, 2012, at 9:00 AM, Sylvain Poitras wrote:

How then is repetition associated with boredom?

John Cage was "interested" in boredom.
Boredom is a pre-trance state of the shallow and limited intellectual aspects of mind, a reflex to circumstances and conditions,
So boredom is the verge of potential for "other" aspects of experiencing.

I view repetition in my music as functioning as a supportive drone with aleatoric possibilities rather than mere mechanical pattern reproduction.

BobC