Re: Fripp news

I was introduced to him in high school, (1972). A friend that played trombone next to me had us all over to his house to hear, "giant bass saxes". It was the most powerful thing I heard up to then, (normally an ELP fan). I traded him the trilogy album for in the wake of posiedon. I had to tell him that it was not 2 saxes, but a sax and guitar. Hearing Gregg Lake's voice was a surprise, I thought ELP was his firsd band. I quickly bought the first album, then bought later albums that to me, started to lose that original sound. Larks tongues brought me baak, but then faded again. Thus began my lifelong love of all things Mellotron, and the burning desire to have those sounds at my disposal. I was not prosperous enough to buy music gear until 1985. It still took me til the early 2000s to get an Akai S-5000 and the Mellotron archives. HEAVEN!! I also scored a Roland M-VS1, naturally, it used a few notes thenspread them out across the keys, the A in particular had a different sound than the other notes, and was the same at every octave. Still, for the price, it is fun. In1975 I got my first taste of non-top 40 Rundgren. My life changed forever when I heard the 6 man band and the album called Todd.
Rig

From: Christophe <cburke55@comcast.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Friday, September 7, 2012 6:54 AM
Subject: Re: Fripp news

I agree on both counts.  From what I've read in the past, including a bio some years back, he does seem to be painfully serious about himself and a little deficient in the humor department.

I also seem to remember him taking a long sabbatical (I think he called it retirement then, too) between the Lark's Tongues period (which is still my favorite KC era) and the Discipline era over his dissatisfaction with the biz.  I doubt his "retirement" will last forever.