I need help to solve noise problems and other doubts...

Hello!

as you probably know, I am new to music. So do not be surprised for the basic questions.

So, at first, I am trying to understand how to eliminate/reduce interferences coming from the electric domestic installation and provoking that the instruments (synth, looper, effects, mixer, monitors) make noise (bzzz, hum, ffff, frrrr).

For example I read that there are sockets which just protect against peaks, sockets which also have a filter which should eliminate or reduce noises (like the Monster Power HT800).
Then I see stabilizers (for computer, like the APC, or for audio, like Proel) which it is not clear to me if they just serve as a better protection than the above mentioned sockets, or if they also reduce some noises.
And then I see stabilizers with filter (like the Furman) which supposedly should solve all the problems (but leaving you without money).

All this I have learnt it this morning and I am getting confused.
Could you explain to me what will be the cheapest but still effective solution to reduce these noises coming from the domestic installation? I have low budget and I do not pretend the results of a professional studio but still I would like to do what I can. For example, the Monster Power HT800 seems a reasonable solution.

Then I would also like to understand better which audio cable should I choose.
I just know that a balanced one is better for the noise. But for example I do not know if it is better ALWAYS or only for length bigger than 3 or 5 meters.
For example, if I want to connect the synth to the mixer with a cable shorter than 3 meters, shoulc I use 2 unbalanced (mono) cable or two balanced ones if I want to be SURE that I will have no noise?
And I also wonder if there are cases where i MUST use an unbalanced cable.

I also cannot understand the difference between "audio cable" and "instrument cable". I thought that all the cables where the same, am I wrong? Because I go to Thomann site to buy cables and I see these two categories, plus Mic cables and Patch cables. Can I know the difference?
For example, the xlr cable to connect a mic to the mixer, is the same than the one to connect the mixer to the monitor?
The patch cable is just a very short instrument cable?

Then I have this doubt since always: for what is a compressor/limiter useful? To avoid saturated and distorted sound? I thought the gain was enough for that.
Because I read that some people use a compressor to get those wonderful techno music basses.

Cheers

Sergio