Re: I want to take on an IDM style of looping

As you've no doubt read, one of the problems with IDM is that no one can really define it, but they know it when they hear it. A lot of it relies on taking a single element of other sorts of dance music and stretching it in some manner until it nearly breaks : Squarepusher (in his frenzied electonic guise) uses 10,000 variants on the Amen break, Autechre experiment with rhythm until some of their music really consists of nothing BUT rhythm, and so on. I'd start by playing around with the beats you use-- add some uncommon sounds, use a breakbeat or two, and go from there.

Overemphasize some aspect of what you do and see if it sounds good.

A fun little (and fairly cheap) piece of software to help you create off/uncommon patterns is Axon http://www.audiodamage.com/instruments/product.php?pid=AD026-- I use it for drum patterns, and this track: http://toaster.bandcamp.com/track/afraid-of-flower-s was composed almost entirely with it-- someone who actually knows what they are doing could probably do a heck of a lot better.

That having been said, don't be too lured in by gear/software/etc. Most cool music comes out of working through/past limitations that existing gear provides.

Hope this helps, and keep on creating,