Re: A = 440 Hz OR 432 Hz?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM, "Gaël D." <luneprod@gmail.com> wrote:
> Below is a list of artists (mostly guitar players/bands) using Eb tuning
> (which corresponds to a A-412Hz base), featuring Robert Johnson as one
> of the earlier adopter, and, of course, Hendrix

Putting it that way is based on the assumption that certain frets on
the guitar equals certain notes. I'm not sure I agree with that
concept. I think that if you tune down a guitar one half-step you are
not changing the note A but rather moving every note of the fretboard
one fret closer to the bridge. The fret "formerly known as A" would
then play the note G#.

Some guitar players and wind instrument players prefer to name notes
from the fingering on the instrument rather than from the resulting
vibration in sound. I guess the name "Eb tuning" draws on that
perspective. But an interesting aspect of changing the strings pitch
on a guitar is that only the sounding notes are transposed but not the
full tempered-tuning-shebang system. So the result will be a different
micro tuning of the guitar.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com