Re: question re: hardware samplers?

Most of that is really the Kurz's unique live sampling feature (question: anyone familiar with an out-of-the-box hw or sw solution which can do that as well?).

Essentially, it uses the workstation's (very powerful) synthesis engine with samples as oscillators, only you can use what just came into the audio in as those samples, instead of preloaded ones.

Starting out, this gives you the possibility to move back in what you just played (using the large ribbon controller on the big keyboard version makes this really fun) and apply all of the funny things this synthesis engine offers in realtime. Add to that the powerful KDFX effects engine, and there's a lot of stuff you can do here. I have to admit I haven't even started to work on the potential of this feature - I had been in email conversation with Thomas, but he kindly asked me to first show him my patches before he shared his (protecting his IP I suppose...).

The workflow is not optimized to quickly grab loop points for those realtime samples, but especially using that different pitches approach that Thomas demonstrates in the video, you could have some wicked polyrhythms going (e.g. have a live drummer play in 4/4, then play a IV-V-I turnaround along, which with the IV downwards has you going at 2/3 the drummer's pace (i.e. if he plays 8ths, the Kurz plays 4 triplets, and after one bar is one third of a bar behind), then play the V up, and now you're playing 8ths triplets and continue to move into sync with the live drummer for the I.

There's so much to try, so little time...

          Rainer

Steven Clements schrieb:
Wow those were GREAT vids

I'd love to see how he put that all together - what an inspiration!

    As for b), list member Matt Davignon did a three-part interview on
    youtube with artist (and Y2kloopfest performer) Thomas DiMuzio:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SSlv-1Zew
    He uses a Kurzweil K2600RS, which has a feature called "live
    sampling" where you can play your samples while they are played -
    without going into too many details, just watch those videos, and
    you'll get the hang of it.

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs