Re: Zoe Keating in NY Times article.@borisfx.com

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Todd Elliott <toddbert@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm thinking Eno had it right : ""I think records were just a little bubble through time and those who made a living from them for a while were lucky. There is no reason why anyone should have made so much money from selling records except that everything was right for this period of time. I always knew it would run out sooner or later. It couldn't last, and now it's running out. I don't particularly care that it is and like the way things are going. The record age was just a blip. It was a bit like if you had a source of whale blubber in the 1840s and it could be used as fuel. Before gas came along, if you traded in whale blubber, you were the richest man on Earth. Then gas came along and you'd be stuck with your whale blubber. Sorry mate – history's moving along. Recorded music equals whale blubber. Eventually, something else will replace it."

Yes, I always thought that remark was spot on.

Some suggest live performance, others working on soundtracks, etc; but fundamentally the people who purchase (or don't) something decide its value. I'm thankful for every small dollar I've made selling tunes (and it is no living at all, nor is it intended to be one), but the reality is that there are thousands of fish like me swimming in what is already a very small pond. Music is incredibly easy to distribute (got a working internet connection? DONE), and the surfeit of choice means that 'being heard' in any sense of the word is a challenge, let alone getting paid. Blaming the record industry is a fool's game-- they have always been out for themselves-- there was a *very* narrow window when you could make money off recorded music-- it's coming to an end, and the best that can be done now is to figure out how to make money from one's music in other ways.

Exactly so.

Probably 90% of my music sales are at gigs. Get out there and play, and make contact with people.

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730
Blog:  http://cloudsurfing.gdhour.com
Web site: http://www.dgans.com
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgans
Music: http://www.cdbaby.com/all/dgans