MPD-style drum pads vs midi keyboard / midi pedal

Hi folks

since we've opened up the topic of drum programming:
Is there any practical advantage of using MPD-style drum pads vs using
midi keyboard for punching down drum patterns?
(I don't even want to get started on Piezo pads - think Zendrum,
Futureman...).

Also, while we're at it:
Do you think you could program straight 1/16 hi-hats, then record a midi
foot pedal sort of as automation, simulating hihat pedal?

best regards
Buzap