Re: Re: Latency in looping path

...the problem is Per I need to somehow mute the original signal once the
loop starts playing back! thats why everything apart from the sax and vox
are being rooted through
Abelton so that the original signal (with at least the drums) can be muted
back into the mix at the very point the loop finishes playing. I do not
have any midi muting on my Mackie LM3204 ! ..
or would it be possible to mute that copied signal you are talking about
at the interface via a midi message?... Also if the loop is already
leaving the computer with latency surely the copied original signal is not
going to be in time
with the loop when one converts back to the original signal?... The more I
think about it the more I suspect I will have to buy a separate hardware
looper like the Roland RC-300 or maybe TC Helicon VoiceLOve Touch 2 which
has quantise
looping on board which I have seen syncing with Abelto perfectly! Too bad
my current VoiceLive2 doesnt have the quantise feature the new Voice Touch
does though I have been told the Voice Live 3 is imminent!... I was about
to get the Touch 2 but I will wait for the Voice Liove 3 that may well be
launched at Frankfurt Messe in a few weeks time. I have tried fiddling
with the sample/latency option in Abletons preferences reducing the buffer
size down to 128 samples which does reduce the latency but increases the
odd "digital click"! I even tried running the return signal through one of
my old Apogee Track 2 convertors. Admittedly I have to use a cheep little
device that converts the SPDIF into optical to reach the MacBook Pros
digital input, hoping that if the A/D conversion was done by the Apogee it
would reduce the latency- no such luck! Going in analog or digital doesnt
seem to be the culprit.. its as Reiner says: its the crunching going on in
the MacBook and Ableton that is to blame. BTW I am not running ant fx in
Ableton at all: only the Looping plug in. I would use the simple track
capture /playback feature but there is no way of having it quantise
without giving it a pre determined roll before it records (1 bar, half a
bar, quarter, sixteenths etc). The Looper plugin does the looping in
perfect sync.