Re: In the market for a new laptop

I think that Mr. Rushing is used to Windows, and generally my advice for 'laptop as a music tool' is 'go with what you know'. In general light/ultrabooks are going to cost you more than a 'regular laptop', and will probably have fewer USB/Whatever ports.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Andrrew Owens <rootpile@icloud.com> wrote:
> So is the lack of much suggestions of Apple laptops due to cost or other
> issues? If someone just wanted to build a platform to replicate pretty what
> the Looperlative LP1 does, and if I had Steinberg A/D converters, and money
> were not particularly an issue, would the Apple be your suggestion?

My belief is that for the reason of "replicating pretty what the
Looperlative LP1 does" it doesn't matter if Apple, Dell or you
yourself put the pc together. A more important issue is what audio
interface you chose to use.

The traditional reason for going with an Apple box is that they are
produced in such a controlled way that you pretty much know what
you're getting and if you need service the repair man has access to
accurate documentation. Then there are of course some software that
run better under Apple's OS but that is not the case here (as I
imagine you'd like to run Mobius on it which works with Windows too).

I personally like using Apple's computers because of the low downtime
when switching machine. When I was using all kinds of Windows based
machines I solved this workflow consistency issue by installing
several identical boot partitions on several alternative drives so I
could always reboot from another system clone if something should go
wrong (and of course no internet or virus protection software in the
audio system partition).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com