RE: Issues with Mobius and SampleTank on windows 8

I was considering to run them automatically as admin like you said. But do you think that could mess up something in the future besides the risk of malware?

On Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM, "Jeff Larson" <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com> wrote:
A slight correction...

It's not just simple file system access that raises a security alert, it is trying to write things to c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86).  This is where Mobius stores global configuration information and a lot of other apps written before Windows Vista do too.  The reason it's a security alert is because once you can write to those directories you can in theory make changes to OTHER programs to inject viruses or capture passwords or do something evil.  So as always, you need to know the source of anything you execute and run a virus scan on it immediately after downloading.

Jeff

From: Jeff Larson
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:13 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight
Subject: RE: Issues with Mobius and SampleTank on windows 8

It could be file permission problems.    Windows has gradually been adding more security features to the OS, some of these require applications to change the way they are written in order to avoid security violations.  One of these is directly accessing the file system which Mobius certainly does and SampleTank probably does too.  Many developers haven't bothered making those changes so when you try to run some older programs you'll get a popup asking for run as admin permission, or they mail fail to run at all.

Rather than deal with popups and special run as menu options, I permanently make the executable run at administrator level and forget about it.  It's a variant of the third approach here:

Only instead of creating a shortcut, you can use Windows Explorer to navigate directly to the executable, right click, properties, Compatibility tab, and check Run as adminstrator.

The only "bad" thing that might happen is if the program is malicious it can alter sensitive system files.  If you trust where it is coming from then you don't need to worry about this.  You certainly don't have to worry about Mobius, SampleTank, or any of the commercial hosts.

Jeff