Re: Cutting Time

On Nov 1, 2013, at 8:09 AM, Matthias Grob <matilists@gmail.com> wrote:

On 30.Oct2013, at 4:52 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Rick Walker wrote:
On 10/29/2013 4:59 PM, Phil Clevenger wrote:
But let's say I want to remove the tiniest bits of time from a loop, at any point I so desire, for the length of a switchpress ("Remove SUS"?)... I don't think there is a way to do that right now.    If not, please somebody consider it a feature request :)

Matthias has talked about something similar for Evoloop.

Sometimes a Multiply goes on for more Cycles than intended, so
it would be useful to De-Insert (Un-Insert?) a cycle.

Yes so this would in effect be the opposite of quantized stutter, or insert, where instead of repeating a specific cycle one removes it.

In the case of excess multiply the model is the same but the intent is less specific… you multiplied too much and now just need to remove some cycle.

yes!
even I would be using this :-)
Unsert? Desert? or just Cut ?

Well, “Unsert” is such a great new word I would surely support that ! “Cut” or “Remove” might be clearer to those not so steeped in all this stuff :)

and where would it go in the user interface? another Insert option?

I had not been thinking in hardware terms, like you may be Matthias, for me only thinking of Echoloop VST, in which case it just becomes another assignable parameter.

For hardware, though, I would think I would want it available alongside its counterpart though… to be able to add time or remove time at will, not just one or the other.. insert and unsert as desired !

Assuming this would come in Quantised/Unquantised and SUS flavours
it would do the job.

for me rounded! then quantize comes inevitable. sure, SUS

Yes ! Andre LaFosse uses a technique where with short presses of unquantized Insert he adds tiny bits of time to a loop or cycle… until a rhythm emerges… and this is fun but it only goes one way, making the loop longer… love to be able to do the same thing but making the loop shorter, by removing small bits of time until a rhythm emerges :)

That would be SUS unrounded of course, and like unrouded multiply one would be prepared to lose ones cycle structure in the process :)

Once we talk about rounded or Quant versions, then of course we keep cycles and are removing predefined chunks of time, retaining an existing rhythmic structure.

So… is it Insert/Unsert? Is it the opposite of Insert? The opposite of Stutter?  :)

The scripting methods make you wait a whole loop before you can do it again,
that's too obvious a disappointment.

Just like Stutter and Insert i would want to do this at any arbitrary moment, not having to calculate or wait for anything.

this I did not quite understand… when would you want to be able to do this?

Another problem about implementing this kind of functionality is that  with idiosyncratic software upgrades like these, t very, very , very few people
end up using them, practically speaking.

Very true, out of a number of cool EDP tricks I'm familiar with
only 8th Replace caught on.
...and I think it caught on in a fairly small way, about 10 users.

we could start a statistic in Livelooping.org where users click what tool they use and what functions in it

Phil :)