Re: livelooping workshops

Hi Mathias,

I'm not saying no one did tape slicing before Les Paul. Of course he wasn't the first. That's a good point. I was speaking specifically of multi-track recording, which he very much invented. Also, overdubbing at different speeds as a creative effect, which by definition he also did first since he engineered the machine that made it possible.

In addition, he invented the solidbody electric guitar. I'm not sure you can say 'he did not invent that much' when the techniques and devices he invented are probably on 90% of the records made after 1960, either in the form of multi-tracking or in the form of a solid-body electric guitar.

Chris

2013/11/10 Matthias Grob <matilists@gmail.com>

On 10.Nov2013, at 3:40 PM, Christian Carrière <carriere.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first one to ever use tape manipulation techniques (although not in real time) was Les Paul, inventor of the multi-track, in the late 1950s.

are you saying that before him no one spliced tape?
I have a lot of respect, but he did not invent that much, he rather made it known

--