Re: reducing "time to setup"--

Thanks folks for all of your input ... and output. :-)

Amy, I'm with you on this idea that the building is also interesting
and entertaining for the audience, and so long as it is intentional
and musical, it's cool.

I'm a bit averse to using previously recorded material, in large part
because I'm a bit forgetful and adhd and, well, i might not like it
again the 10th time around and I might want to change the tempo or
repetitions. :-) The only time I've used a prerecorded loop was at a
wedding one time when they wanted a particular song played during the
processional, and I had to play melody, and didn't want to loop the
backing there on the spot. It worked.
That having been said, I like this idea of having only certain
elements, snippets of things which may then be prerecorded and looped,
or brought in and out. So the performance becomes the spontaneous
arrangement.

I'll definitely have to look in to a looper with the multiply
functions. I need a new looper anyway. I think I've outgrown my RC20.
8)

At this point, about the only options I have with that are
overdubbing, or starting a song cold, singing and playing, and then
recording and looping a section of guitar as I'm playing. So that
another guitar just magically appears in the mix. That's pretty fun.

I'm enjoying this thread!

Thanks!
Rusty