Re: How to play bass track with guitar ?

How to play bass lines on guitar. for loopers.

Depends on which guitar, and what you like.

1) Just play them on guitar. With a single coil neck p/u and sticking
   to the very lowest notes it does work quite well. Turn off any fx,
clean sound is best.
   May need a bit of thought to get a good sounding line to play in your
chosen key,
   probably not much fun in Eb.
   Then make sure there's nothing in the mix to destroy the illusion. e.g.
Don't strum a load
    of big chords over it, maybe think about switching p/u for the other
layers.
2) Octave dividers. The best I've used is the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer.
    Gives you more controls to focus the sound and the dry signal part can
be
    mixed in with a high quality signal.
     I'm currently using the EH Bass Microsynth instead, good enough with
     the right settings and produces other useful sounds too.

3) Harmonisers. Electro Harmonix, and I presume the other manufacturers
   who care about such things now make harmonisers which can pitch
downwards
   with very little latency. They track sloppy playing better than an
   octave divider. Can't say I ever liked the sound much though.

4) Synth fx. Sometimes found on multi-fx units. I include these because
   I've used one on the Vox VDL-1 Dynamic Looper for simple bass lines
   and it seemed to really work ( the actual bass emulations on that pedal
    are truly awful). Maybe the Pigtronix Mothership would work as a bass
line maker??

5) Half Speed playback. Best sound, as long as the playing is twice as
accurate as needed, and
  as long as guitar is bassy enough to start with.

6) Midi Guitar. Works for some. Hot tip is to actually play high notes and
   have them transposed down by the synth to avoid latency.

7) Those Roland guitar synths. ( I haven't tried )

More generally.
It really helps to "think bass". (although these days not many bass
guitarists do this)
Concentrate on getting a deep tone, finger style if possible.
Play cleanly.
Be sure to end each note with clean damping to silence (the esoteric
secret which used to be passed on from player to player)
Stay in the low register.
Play only the notes that really need to be there.

It really helps to leave space for the bassline by not putting low notes
in the other layers, the lowest 2 strings on a guitar will tend to
interfere with it.
Also those guitar chords that start with root and fifth can be avoided.
Obviously an equivalent use of eq to remove low and low mid is just as
good,.

Out of all the methods, 2) Octave divider would be my favourite,
the 'think bass' tips help the effect to track.

andy