Re: what is the state of things with pedals these days?

Yes, I use the Flashback 1 with a certain tape delay patch I
downloaded from TC. The default patches doesn't make the unit stand
out, only that tone print I found. The point is that since you have to
play with almost infinite feedback you need a very precise and
delicate setting for deterioration of old loop layers to keep your
music out of the Mud Zone. In that tape delay tone print this is done
by EQ and something that sounds like tape flutter that eventually goes
into shimmering diffusion. After two or three loop rounds the old
material morphs into almost sounding like a backing string pad.

The three-against-four loop length relation between left and right
output is a corner stone for me. In my case I feed the stompbox'
stereo input with two mono inputs - since my instrument has two
fingerboards with their own separate outputs. But you can feed it one
mono input as well and have that input signal split up into the two
outputs with the different loop lengths. A very simply and playable
box for open loop feedback playing, although the only way to play the
feedback parameter is to reach out for the knob on the box. It would
have been great with a CV jack for an expression pedal to work the
feedback knob.

I read the manual for the Flashback 2 and found it useful for
delay-feedback based looping. Have not looked into the #3 yet.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen