RE: what is the state of things with pedals these days?

Yes, I think it does respond. here is the list of MIDI controls for the
looper. Certainly it does via the Oz pedal (it has a midi in that merges).
I've not used it though so can't say in practice. Here is the full feature
list

Record 87 any
Play 86 any
Stop 85 any
Reverse (toggle) 94 any
Full/Half Speeed (toggle) 95 any
Pre/Post (toggle) 96 any
Undo (to initial loop) 89 any
Redo 90 any
Looper Level 98 0-127
The looper can also be controlled with MIDI note numbers.
Record note 0, velocity> 0
Play note 2, velocity> 0
Stop note 4, velocity> 0
Reverse (toggle) note 14, velocity> 0
Full/Half Speed (toggle) note 16, velocity> 0
Pre/Post (toggle) note 17, velocity> 0
Undo (to initial loop) note 7, velocity> 0
Redo note 9, velocity> 0
Reverse (absolute) note 103, velocity = 127
Forward (absolute) note 103, velocity = 0
Half Speed (absolute) note 104, velocity = 127
Full Speed (absolute) note 104, velocity = 0
MIDI Time Clock:
TimeLine will accept MIDI clock at the MIDI input and sync delay time.