Re: Video: Axe-Fx II looping

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM, todd reynolds <toddreyn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd appreciate knowing more for sure, Per.

Ok, here's the bare bones tech stuff:

The Axe's Looper block only allows you to run one loop. This loop can
be pretty long if you chose to run it in mono without Undo capability.
I have decided though to run it in stereo with Undo capability (only
one layer of Undo: cutting out everything you added during the last
Overdub period). This choice is because I generally like to play the
looper more like an instrument than like a recorder; so I keep
changing the audio in that loop while playing beside the loop.

Another fundamental limitation is that the Axe's Looper block can not
calculate a tempo from the loop you catch (in order to run all effects
you might be playing through at the calculated tempo setting). The
workaround for this is (A) to make sure you start playing in the same
tempo as the machine runs at (I use a Tap Tempo switch to make the
machine follow my tempo) and (B) set the Looper block to "Quantise".
Quantise means that in case you hit the Record switch early or late
(both when starting the loop and when closing the loop) it moves the
loop points, forcing the loop to line up with the machines internal
global tempo (which is the tempo all those lovely "Eventide-killer"
effects are running at).

---> Signal chain

I use 9 sound patches that I switch between for nine "virtual
dual-in-parallel effect chains"

- All effects early in the chain.
- Looper block late in the chain.
- Reverb last - providing the "same room" for (1) amp/cab sound, (2)
effects and (3) the Looper block.

An important part of the effect chain, in all my patches, are two
simple Delay blocks (one on each fretboard, as my current instrument
is a dual-output instrument). One pedalboard switch instantly changes
the length of the delay return: state X is 4th vs dotted 8th and state
Y is 4 bars vs 3 bars. That way you can instantly catch your playing
pre looper with the delays and have it come back a bit differently
than you played it. This all happens before the Looper block, so it
might get looped or not.

When you switch between sound patches on the Axe the Looper block
keeps playing back as if it was one machine, given every sound patch
uses a Looper block with the same settings. Delay tails and reverb
tails are also preserved when switching sound patch.

Here's a list of the nine pedalboard switches I use to "play" the Looper
block:

1. Record.
2. Half Speed
3. Overdub on/off.
4 Overdub, momentary switch.
5. Reverse loop.
6. A switch that circulates between four levels for Looper Feedback -
0%, 20%, 70% and 97% Feedback. (I also keep an expression pedal
constantly connected to Looper block's Feedback)
7 Undo (undoes the entire last Overdub action).
8 Fade Out (or Fade In, depending on initial state).
9. Play/Stop (stops loop playback and always starts it again from the
top. Can be used as momentary for instant retrigger of loop)

The MIDI pedalboard I'm using is a Gordius Little Giant and I would
guess that you need a pedal of that flexibility to get at all the
parameters I'm listing above. Most parameters in the Axe have a unique
MIDI #CC that they listen to and all you have to do is to pick your
fav parameters and make your pedal/controller send the appropriate
#CC's.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com