Re: Rhythm Question

It really depends on the genres of music your playing.

If you're doing Latin stuff and have 2-3 Clave going, add a 3-2 clave on a
different pitch and suddenly you have a whole LOT of rhythm going on.

Adding a bass drum four on the floor beat to anything helps.

Upbeats on triangle, tambourine, any clanging sound adds a ton of energy.

Adding other patterns that are more of a triplet (tsaba is my favorite) to
replace a standard 8th note of 16th note pattern works well too.

It's really about making the beat fit the music and the style.  I'm a
terrible beat-boxer, but my beats are super-fun.

I think your musical lines-up need to reinforce your beats or act as
syncopation to your beats.  It should be bouncing back and forth.

Sometimes I keep it super-simple because of the tune, and sometimes I'll
layer 3 clapping patterns, with a half-dozen or more other noises.  But
it's for a style the works well with it being simple or complex.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 12:42 pm, Kevin Cheli-Colando wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is kind of a question for Rick W but really anyone who has an
> opinion
> to share should jump in as well.
>
> I'm thinking a lot about rhythm in my looping and drums and percussion in
> particular and I'm finding it very odd how many of my pieces seem to
> sound
> very static too me even with changing beats and the like.
>
> What I'm curious about is that little 'switch' that happens in rhythm
> that
> seems to change the momentum and propel the beat forward (or backward I
> suppose) making the entire feel of the music change.  Does that make any
> sense?
>
> You can have a drum beat that is backing a group and it still feels like
> its a repetitive beat and then with a slight change in
> pattern/instrument/accent/what the whole sound changes and feels more
> propulsive and moving.
>
> I'm a guitarist primarily so my repertoire with regards to such things is
> limited so I thought I'd throw this rambling thing out there and see if
> it
> makes any better sense to anyone else.
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
> form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all
> trouble.
>
> - Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Peterson Entertainment, Llc
999 East Basse Road #180-117