Re: Software looping

On 03/12/2015 23:00, Josh Elliott wrote:

and this is a big deal in my case since my live guitar loops must sync with Ableton audio and midi clips.

So this begs the question...

Laptop specs. What should they be.? And Windows or MacBook? Does it matter?

bit of a minefield.

It's *possible* for the audio to still sync, Mobius & Echoloop have the compensation.
It's just you'd miss a bit of audio from the beginning of a retriggered loop, unless
that re-trigger was cued beforehand.

Don't know how well Ableton copes, I did an analysis of the timing of one of Imogen Heap's
performances and had to conclude that Ableton's timing wasn't great, but then that's
micro-analysing in a DAW rather than just listening.

If you want to use pre-recorded elements, ( and have the opportunity to fake it
for that mainstream live TV appearance, prob. not such a bad idea ;-)   then Ableton's the way to go.

If your latency IN/OUT is low enough, then it's an option to switch off the latency compensation
in the looper. If you're monitoring the signal with latency for your live playing then your brain
will do the compensation.
(that actual latency on conscious awareness is something like 500mS, so an extra 50mS ain't too hard)

Be aware that people will quote much lower latency figures than you'll ever get from actual measurements.

:-) and be aware Per likes the "off" timings, incorporating them rather than avoiding them....and has made some fantastic music on the way

Andy