Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music compositionfor 12th grade students...

If I may add my 2 cents...

Ok, first of all, a successful composition can certainly be tagged in a
number of ways, to each his/her own, it’s all about art, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, we all know and agree with this.  That being said, the question was
in regards to a high school composition class, and regardless of our
artistic ego, there are a number of elements that make said composition
more or less relevant/interesting/catchy, regardless of if we like or
respect the work.

As a Berklee graduate and now educator, I'd like to think that the
following elements are vital to a 'successful' compostion:

1) A 'hook' -  every song (we're talking popular, accessible, majority
music here) needs a catchy repeating theme that the listener can come back
to.  It doesn't have to be 'poppy' or genre specific, but reasonably
accessible and at the very least recognizable.

2) Regular thematic development- We have our hook, so then what happens?
the song must develop, hopefully in an interesting and engaging manner.
That can mean lyrically, melodically, rhythmically... anything.  Now more
than ever, songs need to continually evolve and keep attention, in a
coherent manner that reflects the composer's emotional narrative.

3)  Typically speaking (again, majority music here, there are a TON of
exceptions!), melodic lines need some consistency.  This means sticking to
a progression that has a defined characteristic, whether that be major or
minor tonality, a specific mode, or anything that regularly repeats and
holds particular tonal attention.

4)  To best average by successful, I believe a song must have dynamics,
and emotion.  We can all write up a diddy, play it square and call it a
day.  But songs that move us require true emotion, regardless of medium.

5)  Lastly, I would love to say that a successful composition requires
originality, freedom, expression, voice etc.  But, and very unfortunately
might I add, this is quite simply not the case.  This is obviously highly
dependent on our definition of successful, but there are a number of
formula's that work, and we can inject our variations, re-title it, and
call it our own.  This is a staple in the songwriting business- utilizing
bpm, retrograde, inverse melodic ideas etc...  not that i condone this or
call it a 'work or art' (in fact, i find it unsettling in many ways), but
many a damn good song has been written this way and i suppose we ought to
just accept it.  So lastly, I guess I'll say that a successful composition
needs structure.  It can be pre-formulated, or not, emotionally charged or
academically configured, but there should be some sort of sense to the
over-all picture.

*AGAIN*  This is not a complete picture- I regularly strive to break out
of these molds, and continue to search for an element to my music that can
be heard, appreciated, and listened to again...  because that is the goal,
is it not?  We want our music on repeat, whether we would like to admit it
or not.  Justification perhaps.

Tom