Re: OT: Power PC Laptop

Ricky Graham schrieb:
> I'm considering a power pc laptop (i7 Quad core 8GB). I'm looking at
> the HP DV7t quadcore series. Does anyone have any knowledge of any HP
> as a live performance machine?
Guess you're referring to the (Clarkfield) 720QM - which by its
standalone price in the "processor power per money" is second only to
the i5-520M, however even beats it in the available notebook systems
(the performance increase by roughly 45% comes with a price increase in
the 20% range).

The multicore vs. single core argumentation, as someone else already
mentioned, is not as simple as suggested I'm afraid; there's a lot of
things to factor in - apart from the softsynths and effects he mentions,
also the VST host and the operating system, together with the specific
kind of processor you're using.

 From a purely theoretical approach, for Windows users the best way to
go is Windows 7. The reason: Windows 7 is the first (Windows?) OS to
efficiently make use of the (i7) hyperthreading architecture - with XP
and Vista, you might end up with not-multicore-optimized applications
possibly running slower on a i7 architecture than on a i5 (or older)
one. This however has been addressed in Windows 7.

Another important factor is the VST host: even if the individual plugins
do not make use of multicore architecture, it is often sufficient if the
host does: say you're running two softsynths and four effects, then the
host can easily distribute those evenly among the cores if it has that
feature.

Finally, the i7 architecture allows to boost cores specifically if
others are unused: taking again the Clarksfield example of the 720QM, if
you're only running two cores, you get a 798MHz boost on those - and if
you assign your (not-multicore-enabled) application to one core and the
sound driver to another one, you can redline the application core and
still run extremely low latencies...

This is, basically, all a lengthy email to tell you that I don't have
any experiences with the dv7 family (or HP notebooks in general). One
thing to look for for audio hardware (just mentioning that in case
you're not aware of that) is a characteristic called "DPC latency".
Basically, it means how long it takes for some procedure calls to be
processed, and for proper audio stuff, this should be constantly below 1ms.
Alas, only a few sites have started to test for that (e.g.
notebookcheck.de - German), and typically the manufactures don't. But if
you have the chance to have a look at the dv7 in a shop, be sure to run
the following program:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

And btw, by just looking through some forums, I saw the following
recommendation:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop2.cfm

Anyone got experience with those?

          Rainer