Re: flying within europe,gear on board etc.

Hi Luis,

You have to get used to the thought that clerks open your bags for
security checks. Here's how you can help them to save your stuff:

Inside each case you should put a paper on top of the stuff where you
(1) politely ask the reader to "go gentle with these delicate music
instruments". Next on that paper you should put (2) a list of all
gadgets inside the case (example: "guitar, 2 cables, battery powered
tuner, pink tie"), (3) your cell phone number, (4) photo copy of your
passport, (5) flight numbers for your complete trip.

You should of course have an insurance for your instruments. That's
not just for traveling but common sense if you ever use your
instruments outside your living room.

For guitars, or any instrument I would guess, you need to use a save
flight case with foam inside in order to be compensated by the flight
company if your gear get damaged during transportation. Was it on this
list Steve Lawson reported this after having a bass guitar punched?

Be early on site to check in. I have been called in to open my bags
for security clerks and explain to them what it is I keep in the
cases. This happened when traveling with Genelec near field monitors.
Anything you have that can not be scanned may result in a cell phone
call to you at the airport asking you to come and show off your
luggage. You rather do that once in a while than explode on the plane
because some weirdo brought a bomb.

Read the regulations on WHAT THINGS and HOW MUCH WEIGHT you are
allowed to bring with you in the cabin! Don't bring "sharp objects" in
your cabin bag. I use to fly with military style pants that has huge
pockets on the legs where I can put cables, sound card and stuff that
is heavy but small. You will have to empty your pockets at the
security control where you enter stand by area but the stuff you put
on the table from your pockets are not going to be counted as your
"cabin bag weight". So plan the trip at home by carefully measuring
the weight of all your stuff and have a detailed plan on which pocket
vs cabin luggage bag each gadget goes to. Memorize that, because you
may get stressed at the security and you don't want to forget
something at a transfer.

Generally you are allowed to bring less weight within Europe compared
to the cross Atlantic flights. Go to the flight companies web site and
read up on the regulations. Then adapt your planning.

I once had to through away a sleeping bag at the check in for
returning from a festival because people had given me CD's. My mistake
was to not keep track on exactly how much allowed weight I had left.
Another time I asked the staff at the airport about the weight of my
luggage and they said it was ok. But when going home I suddenly had to
pay a huuuuge over weight fee! That was because the staff on my
out-flight were kind and having a good day with not so crowded planes
while the flight back was crowded and forcing the staff to go strictly
by the rules. So don't ask personel only, make sure you also read the
regulation and know the exact weight limits in both directions.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com