dream pedal: the random multi-effects thing

well, i talked to my electrical engineering student today (well i wish he was mine: build me this NOW!) he said taking an original cheap multi-effects box and modding it would be hard (or harder)...he said it is something that he could do in software (he said he'd rather design his own effects in code), and build it separately--it seemed a bit over my head. he said it wouldn't be anything too hard (for him!). the main hangup is time (he graduates in may).i told him to tell me how much the parts of this "project" would cost and give me a figure...so i may have to wait until may when he's a bit more free w/ his time.
he said it's feasible. this all came from him working on this internet radio frequency analyzer that he's building in one of his classes-so he says this isn't out of the question-as to building it, it mainly is figuring out the cost for materials, etc....i'll keep on him....

i told him, can't you just take a cheap digitech rp100, hook a couple of wires and a switch to something inside and away we go? he looked at me and laughed. oh well....guess it's not circuit bending....

you know the one thing,honestly, roland and korg have come out w/ some whacky effects in the last 10 yrs (slicer, kaoss pad?)-i can't believe that they haven't come up w/ a switch option on one of their effects devices that just made it go all random and cylced through different presets/effects options....i'm sure they're thinking-we gotta cater to the vintange snobs who want the amps to sound like something from the 1950s when buddy holly was playing....ohwell.....

s---