Re: Im bored of my TC Fireworx! HELP!

Mark,

it's kinda hard to tell what to recommend because it doesn't immediately
become clear what exactly you're after...
My inspirational story: I don't like it that much, because taking into
account what you could do with it with all the complex routing and
modulation possibilities, it just lacks processing power big time.
Apart from that, I already said what makes it so great (and in that
respect, it's only paralleled by the Eventide Orville/H8000 and the
Kurzweil KSP8/KDFX thingies), and that's flexibility, especially with
regard to modulation.

There's a big downside, and that is that it takes a huge amount of
thinking in terms of signal processing involved to implement what you're
after. At least that's a downside for people who don't have their brains
wired in the s- or z-transformed domain.

There's also a big plus, and that is price/performance ratio. While this
thing originally listed (like eight years ago, when it was introduced)
at around €2k (and with that only about 10% below an Eventide Eclipse),
prices have dropped to €750 (while the Eclipse stayed the same); prepal
lists it at around €550, and some ebay auctions fetched between €380 and
€440. And with that, it's in the same price range as an Eventide
Timefactor, and I personally would prefer the TC to the Timefactor,
simply because of greater flexibility.

Some of the good sides are details: the FireworX works very well with
delays synced to an unstable MIDI clock (like with Repeater pre-OS2) and
in that regard is superior to all my other thingies. I also like the
ability to display the presets in a list (something that makes sense for
a multi-100-patches device). And the digital distortion is beautifully
ugly.

Ah yes, and the moduulation possibilities - we already had this
discussion when Bill asked for a ducked delay.

It's also great to do emulations of everybody's favourite analogue
boxes: I have a great MAM RS3, a ZVEX Ooh Wah and a Space Echo emulation
which I like a lot. Plus a super-goes-to-eleven-harcore distortion that
is very dynamic to your playing (i.e. the output volume is modulated by
your input signal's amplitude).

Yes, there's a lot of things you can do with it. And unless you're in a
situation where you need to sell it to finance something else which you
need more, I'd suggest you keep it. Current prices are considerably
below its value imo.

Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de