how do you store your cables?

I have just bought some flat cardboard boxes from Ikea that will contain
various kinds of cables - converter cables, say, from cinch (RCA) to 3,5mm
or 1/4" jacks all in one box, RCA on both ends in another box, small
converter plugs in another box, etc.

It probably would make more sense to hang the cables from some kind of rail
but I don't have the space (and it would look ugly).

How does everyone stores their cables? is it possible to store them so they
don't look ugly in your bedroom (if that's where the studio is as in my
case), but also so that you can find everything quickly?

-Michael